Former Oyo State Governor Otunba Christopher Alao Akala has been confirmed dead. Alao-Akala was a former police officer and a former Deputy Governor to Chief Rashidi Ladoja. He became governor when Ladoja was impeached.
Here are some facts about Alao-Akala:
1. Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala was born in Ogbomoso North Local Government Area of Oyo State on June 3, 1950.
2. Alao-Akala attended Osupa Baptist Day School in Ogbomoso for his elementary education. He later went to the 5th Battalion of Infantry’s Kamina Barracks Middle School in Tamale, Ghana. In 1990, he graduated from Staff College (Psc). In 1998, he earned a diploma in business administration.
3. In 2006, he received an Honoris Causa Doctor of Civil Law (DCL) from LAUTECH, Ogbomoso, and in 2008, he received an Honoris Causa Doctor of Science (Political Science) from Lead City University, Ibadan.
4. In June 1974, Alao-Akala enlisted as a Cadet Inspector of Police at the Nigeria Police College in Ikeja.
5. He was recommended for international training at London’s Hendon Police College. Christopher Alao-Akala Education
6. He went to the Administrative Staff College in Topo, Badagry, the Nigeria Institute of International Affairs (NIIA) in Victoria Island, Lagos, the Police Staff College in Jos, and the Command and Staff College in Jaji. Otunba Alao-Akala has attended two INTERPOL conferences, one in Nice, France, and the other in Málaga, Spain, as a Nigerian delegate.
7. He rose through the ranks of the Nigeria Police Force, eventually becoming the Administrative Officer, Federal Operations at Force Headquarters in Lagos. Later, he was promoted to Operations Officer, FEDOPS, Lagos. He rose through the ranks to become the Assistant Inspector-General of Police’s Personal Assistant and then the Inspector-General of Police’s ADC. Politics
8. He was a politician as well as a former police officer.
9. From May 2003 to January 2006, he was the Deputy Governor of Oyo State.
10. In January 2006, Alao-Akala was sworn in as Governor after the then-incumbent Governor (Rashidi Ladoja) was impeached. He served for 11 months. The Supreme Court overturned the impeachment in December 2006, and Rashidi Ladoja was reinstated.
11. In 2007, Alao-Akala ran for and won the gubernatorial election on the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) platform, becoming the Executive Governor of Oyo State, serving until May 2011.
12. He decamped to the Action Democratic Party (ADP) in October 2018, where he won the gubernatorial ticket to run for Governor of Oyo State in the 2019 general elections. Following the Presidential and National Assembly elections on February 23, 2019, Akala returned to the All Progressive Congress, stepping down from the race for Governor of Oyo State under the Action Democratic Party platform.
13. He was the former Governor of Oyo State and a candidate for the ADP in the 2019 Oyo State Governorship election.