Prof. Charles Soludo of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, was declared winner of the Anambra Governorship election held on Saturday by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
Soludo is not new in the system, he is a national figure known by all and has played prominent roles in national development.
Below are 14 quick facts about the new Anambra State Governor-elect.
1. Soludo is 61 years old, having been born on 28 February 1960
2. He was chairman of the board of directors of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
3. On 29 May 2004, Soludo was named governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
4. Soludo is a Nigerian Professors of Economics.
5. He has been a visiting scholar at the International Monetary Fund, the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick, and the University of Oxford as well as a visiting professor at Swarthmore College (USA)
6. He obtained his three degrees and then professorship at the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, Enugu State.
7. Soludo graduated with a First Class Honours degree in 1984, an MSc Economics in 1987, and a Ph.D in 1989, winning prizes for being the best student at all three levels.
8. He was appointed to the position of professor of economics at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 1998.
9. Soludo held the positions of Chief Economic Adviser to former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission of Nigeria.
10. On 16 September 2019, the President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, appointed Soludo as a member of a newly formed 8-member Economic Advisory Council (EAC) which would report directly to the President.
11. He announced his aspiration to become Anambra Governor in September 2009, he contested under PDP and lost the election to Peter Obi of APGA.
12. In February 2021, Soludo officially declared his intention to run for the position of Governor of Anambra State under the banner of APGA.
13. Soludo has six children.
14. He was declared Anambra Governor-elect by INEC on Wednesday, November 10, 2021.