TEXT: GENESIS 26:1-15
Life is full of crisis. However, life without crisis will be boring. Crisis is an unstable and an unpleasant situation where our decision making ability will be highly tested, while profit means to gain advantage or to make improvement. However, revelationally speaking, it means to get results.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO TURN CRISIS TO PROFIT?
It means the ability of a believer to change an unstable and an unpleasant situation (i.e. Shortage of opportunities and possibilities) to his or her own advantage, through a spiritually guided sound decision making. Gen. 26:2-3. Until you change things, things will not change. Things only change for changers and not lookers. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What do I need to change in my life, career, business, marriage and ministry?
- What attitude do I need to change for my life to change?
- Is there any friend that needs to be changed?
Listen, if you don’t change them now, they will eventually change your life for the worse. Change must not just be constant but must be consistent. Constant and consistent Change will surely bring transformation, progress and promotion to your life. To turn trials to triumphs, you must learn to change unpleasant situations to your own advantage no matter the pressure.
HOW CAN I TURN CRISIS TO PROFIT?
- YOU MUST RENEW YOUR MIND: Romans 12:1-2. You must understand that the first thing that came to the minds of both Abraham and Isaac was to relocate to Egypt. Always guide what goes through your mind in the midst of crisis because your mind determines the direction of your life
Genesis 26:2-3 “…and the Lord appeared unto him, and said, go not down into Egypt;
Dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of. 3. Sojourn in this land and I will be wiith thee, and will bless thee, for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father”
Here, Egypt stands for “a place of opportunities”. However, God said to Isaac “the opportunities that you are going to Egypt for is within your environment”. In other words, it means, “don’t RELOCATE but RENOVATE”. As Christians, during crisis, we are to renovate (i.e. Renew, reshape and refresh) our minds to see the direction which God is taking our lives in the midst of crisis.
- YOU MUST DISCOVER THE PLACE OF DIVINE PLACEMENT: (Gen. 26:2). You must be divinely led on where to stay or dwell during crisis. God only feeds a man that he leads.
Do not stay in a place that God has not ordained for you.
• Do not dwell where God’s grace is not placed.
• God will not visit and bless you where he has not placed you.
• Divine visitation only answers to divine location.
God’s blessing located Isaac in Gerar because God himself placed him there. Remember, the first question that God asked Adam was “Adam, where are you”? (Gen 3:9), You know why? he had left the place of divine placement. God cannot stand with a man that do not stand in the place of divine placement in the midst of crisis. “TO STAND OUT IN THE MIDST OF CRISIS, YOU MUST STAND WHERE GOD HAS PLACED YOU”.
- YOU MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO: “And Isaac sowed in the land”. Isaac did what was right and God’s blessings was upon his works. “IN THE MIDST OF CRISIS, DON’T JUST DO WHAT IS GOOD BUT WHAT IS RIGHT”. What is good sometimes, may not be from God. Don’t just do what you feel like doing, start doing what God has commanded you to do. “God is only committed to what he has commanded”. DON’T TAKE DECISIONS IN THE MIDST OF CRISIS BY YOUR FEELINGS BUT BY GOD’s LEADING. The reason many believers are not divinely rewarded in their daily pursuit is because God is not the one who commanded it. Don’t do what you desire but what God has designed. “GOD WILL NEVER DENY WHAT HE DESIGNED”.
- Don’t just do things because others are doing it, you will only get “others’ reward. Others’ reward means you will experience what others are experiencing.
- Be spiritually convinced about what you’re doing; you will surely thrive during crisis.
- Most times, during crisis, God wants you to look within and not outside. “God will never solve most of our problems until we learn to look within”.
Isaac was actually looking to go outside (Egypt) but God told him to look inside (Gerar). One of the reasons why many of us don’t look within is due to (i). lack of self-belief (ii). Low self-esteem (iii). spiritual short-sightedness (lack of revelation of our environmental opportunities). “Your spiritual eyes must see beyond crisis in order to access profit”
- YOU MUST HAVE SOMETHING. II KINGS 4:1-7
The wife of the prophet said “I have nothing” but Elisha said “I can see something”. A man of nothing is a man that sees nothing in the midst of crisis. You have to see something in order to get out of a life of nothing. One of the reasons why a lot of people are struggling in life is because they can’t see the solution to their problem from within. Just imagine how the wife of the Prophet has been fasting and praying but still suffering just because she did not value what will make her life valuable. The oil was in her house but yet she was suffering. Her two sons would have been taken captive forever if not for the intervention of the Prophet.
“YOUR CAPACITY FOR PROFITABILITY IS DETERMINED BY YOUR ABILITY TO SEE WHAT IS HIDDEN FROM OTHERS”. Until your eyes begin to see what is unseen, no one will ever see you in life.
- LEARN TO BUILD A NETWORK OF RELATIONSHIP THAT WORKS: 2King 4:3
Your network determines your net worth. Many believers have the oil but they don’t have the pots of vessels. However, it is good network that gives you the pots to pour in your oil. Surround yourself with people of equal vision. Don’t go to a journey with someone that doesn’t know where he or she is going. Prophet Elisha in II Kings 4:3, instructed the woman to borrow vessels or pots from her neighbors. However, if the woman had not built a good network (good relationship) with her neighbors, how would they have borrowed her?
- fasting and prayer alone won’t make your oil flourish, you need to learn how to build a good network of friends and maintain a good relationship with them.
- You do not have to be a prophet to prophesy. Learn to send a text of good prophesy to someone.
- You do not have to be a teacher to teach. Impart knowledge on someone that is unwise
- You do not have to be a pastor to redirect a lost sheep to the path of life.
When God wanted to create man he said, “COME LET US” Gen 1:26. Also in Gen 11:7 “GO TO, LET US”. You will never go far in life if you ever go alone
NOTE: You need adequate time for spiritual meditation to receive revelation on where to stay, what to do and how to build a network that will work.
- SHUT THE DOORS OF ENVIRONMENTAL DISTURBANCES, FEAR, DISCOURAGEMENT, IMPOSSIBILITIES AT YOURSELF. II KINGS 4:4
“Until you shut these doors listed above, you can never experience open doors”. Remember, spiritually speaking, two doors cannot open. So, you have to shut the door of fear, discouragement, impossibilities, low self-esteem for God to open the doors of opportunities, greatness, favor etc. unto you.