The commencement date for the Public Works Programme aimed at engaging 774,000 people, with 1000 persons drawn from all the 774 Local Government Areas in the country, has been rescheduled by the Federal Government.
According to reports, the programme, which is expected to engage selected Nigerians in menial jobs for three months, has been moved from October 1 to November 1.
The Minister of State, Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo, said this in a statement signed by the Deputy Director and Head of Press and Public Relations, Mr Charles Akpan, on Tuesday in Abuja.
Keyamo also revealed that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved the new date for the programme.
The approval is based on his memo to the President informing him that most of the proposed project sites were still water-logged as the rains had not abated, the minister said.
Also, Keyamo explained that the programme was designed for the dry season when most of the project sites would be ready for work.
Meanwhile, the Minister stated that capturing of those to be engaged by the selected banks had been progressing seamlessly across the 774 local government areas.
He therefore noted that the information regarding the banks attached to the specific local government areas could be found in the project’s website: www.specificpublicworks.gov.ng, noting that more information was also available with the various state selection committees.