Brief description of the Assignment:
1. The African Development Bank is seeking a Communication Specialist to support the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth (PEVP) Vice Presidency Complex to meet the demands of internal and external audiences. The aim is to increase its visibility through outreach, the development and dissemination of promotional materials, branding, and media engagement.
2. Under the guidance of the Bank’s Communication and External Relations Department (PCER), the Communication Specialist will:
✓ Plan, develop and implement innovative communication strategies to promote the PEVP Complex within the African Development Bank Group and externally;
✓ Develop new communication products, including corporate brochures, progress/periodical reports, policy briefs, speeches, newsletters, presentations, fact sheets, photo gallery, visibility materials, program/project
briefs, and other materials as the case may be;
✓ Assist in the development of speeches, Op-eds, talking points and other editorial materials for PEVP leadership.
✓ Provide editorial coverage of high-level events, programmes, initiatives and draft success stories;
✓ Produce presentations on the New Deal on Energy for Africa, PEVP projects, activities and instruments;
✓ Provide related content for the Bank website and social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn);
✓ Develop and maintain contact information, materials and relationships with journalists and media outlets (print, TV, radio, social media etc.) throughout Africa and beyond, to increase coverage opportunities about PEVP activities.
✓ Manage the PEVP Complex branding initiatives;
✓ Liaise with partners, senior and technical staff, decentralized offices, etc. to identify communication opportunities and develop relevant communication/media content; and
✓ Undertake related duties as assigned.
The consultant should have a relevant Masters’ degree and background in journalism/ communication /or marketing and an ability to work with a diverse range of colleagues to bring stories to life.
A minimum of 8 years’ experience with a proven professional record working in the field of communication, preferably in power, energy, climate and green growth.
Excellent spoken and writing skills in English or French, with working knowledge of the other
The consultant is expected to have a clear understanding of the news gathering and media storytelling process (a writing test to be administered). In addition they must have fast, accurate, creative and versatile writing skills, including the ability to prepare content for digital and social media.
Interested individuals must provide proof of competence, including links to written and published articles, press releases, op-eds, media advisories and impact stories.
Please note that interest expressed by a Consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
The duration of services is twelve (12) months and the estimate starting date is October
4. Interested Individual Consultants may obtain further information at the address
below during the Bank’s working hours.
For the EOI to be considered, the consultant needs to be registered in the AfDB DACON
5. Expressions of interest must be received at the address below no later than 16
Dr. Daniel-Alexander Schroth,
Adviser to Vice President Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Complex (PEVP)
E-mail: D.SCHROTH@AFDB.ORG with copy to I.NACEUR@AFDB.ORG
Any questions and requests for clarifications may be sent to: Ihcen Naceur, Front Office of the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Complex (PEVP) E-mail: I.NACEUR@AFDB.ORG
6. A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established at the end of the request for expressions of interest. Consultants on the shortlist will be judged on the following criteria:
Level of education in general 20%
Educational level compared to the field of mission 20%
Years of experience in general 20%
Number of years of experience relevant to the mission 20%
Written test results 20%