Sometimes I wonder if things will get better or remain the same if we abolish the presidency. I ask myself how many Ex Nigerian presidents have actually positively changed the lives of Nigerian people? Your guess is as good as mine.
Fortunately or unfortunately, the Nigerian President has the powers entrusted by the Constitution and legislation, including those necessary to perform the functions of Head of State and Head of the national executive.
Tough times call for tough actions and the every country needs a leader who shows up and inspires the populace.
Personally my wish is to have a president who has integrity, energy and ability. A president who is highly principled and capable and makes sacrifices for the good of his country men.
Below are what I want in a president.
- A president who truly believes in democracy which is founded on beliefs like freedom, majority rule and social equality.
- A president who strives for equal opportunity and appreciates the diversity of Nigeria’s culture and strives for an inclusive government. In essence, a president who doesn’t discriminate against any group of people i.e any ethnic, religious, economic, professional or social group.
- A president that can thoughtfully disagree and explore different perspectives while going above the disagreements to make the right decision having considered all perspectives.
- A president who prioritizes education, science & technology, healthcare l and the security of its citizens through consistent funding in yearly budgets and ensuring the funds are judiciously used.
- A president that makes use of his country’s medical care and ensures his wards attend local schools.
- A president that inspires the confidence of other government officials eg legislative, judiciary and state governors whose help will be needed to ensure that appropriate laws bills are passed for the good of the citizenry.
- A president that will reduce Nigeria’s massive debt and save future generations from paying the price.
- A president that will create an enabling environment for Nigerian businesses, increase opportunities for young entrepreneurs and enable innovation.
- A president that would reduce corruption starting from himself.
- A president who has a strategic vision(which is clear for all) and direction on how he intends to lead the country.
- A president that surrounds himself with a strong team – made up of strong willed individuals who offer continuous solid and straightforward advice. I.e the president creates a spirit or an atmosphere where people can come in and explain how they feel about issues.
- A president that understands basic economics.
- A president with genuine empathy.
- A president that understands that governance is not just about flying presidential jets, having long motorcades and enjoying the unlimited perks of office and perpetually scheming for upcoming elections but is about supervising a working social contract and ensuring that citizens get value for the taxes they pay.
- A president that treats citizens who vote for him as good as those who don’t vote for him.
- A president that understands that he alone cannot save the country but only through the unity and organization of its citizens holding him accountable through the demand for a transformative constitution.
- A president who makes mistakes and isn’t afraid to own up to his mistakes because we are all human and no one is perfect.
- A president who is aware that the political parties, candidates, electoral process, judiciary, and constitution are flawed and works hard to transform them.
There are so many things I want in a president which can’t be exhausted in the list above. I would love to hear what you guys want in a president in the comments.