In what could be described as a trying time for the continent, the Africa Region of the World Health Organisation, WHO, has stated that Africa has recorded 17 deaths from the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak in the past 24 hours. READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Lagos, Ogun Shutdown Schools, Provide Emergency Lines
Although Africa was among the last continent to report cases of the virus, cases are beginning to spread throughout the continent as 33 countries have reported at least a case of the disease.
According to the United Nation health agency, there have been 633 confirmed COVID-19 cases in 33 African countries with 17 deaths already recorded, while the Gambia, Mauritius and Zambia announcing their first cases.
Reports further revealed that cases in Africa have remained low compared to Asia, Europe, and America.
In the meantime, Egypt still tops the list of countries with the most cases in Africa with 210, followed by South Africa with 116 and Algeria with 75 confirmed cases. Nigeria, meanwhile, has twelve reported cases amidst fears that the figure could rise in the coming days.
WHO also disclosed that it is supporting countries with surveillance, diagnostics and treatment as African countries brace up to tackle the rising cases of the pandemic.
In the meantime, cases across the world have continued to soar as Europe is now the epicentre for the outbreak.
While cases have slowed down in China and lower index cases recorded, the country still ranks top with the most infected cases and deaths globally- over 80,500 infected people and over 3,000 deaths.
Following closely is Italy which has so far recorded over 35,000 cases and 2, 978 deaths.
As at Thursday, a total of 219,385 confirmed cases have been reported in 176 countries with 85,749 deaths globally.
WHO revealed that people have been recovering from the virus in spite of the ugly reports emanating from countries around the world. Over 85,000 people have been treated, recovered and discharged from the hospital.
The Director-General of the body, Tedros Ghebreyesus, has insisted that the pandemic can still be controlled if governments show more dedication.
He revealed that the first vaccine trial has begun just 60 days after the genetic sequence of the coronavirus was shared, but countries should not relent in isolation and treatment of confirmed cases.
He said: “WHO continues to recommend that isolating, testing and treating every suspected Covid-19 case, and tracing every contact, must be the backbone of the response in every country.”
He said that is the best hope of preventing widespread community transmission.
Mr Ghebreyesus also recommended that wherever possible, confirmed mild Covid-19 cases should be isolated in health facilities, where trained professionals can provide good medical care, and prevent clinical progression and onward transmission.
He added: “If that’s not possible, countries can use community facilities to isolate and care for mild Covid-19 cases and refer them for specialized care quickly if needed.”